Sunday, July 15, 2012

Up in the air so blue

How do you like to go up in a swing, up in the air so blue?

It was quite nearly a year ago we disassembled the play set to move it here. It was certainly the hottest week of the year, that week we moved. And lugging the play set into the box truck, I thought I would break. That song on the radio playing.

We hoped to have it assembled shortly after we got here, but Shane's back went out for six weeks. Then fall arrived and we were keeping up with leaves. And winter. Erin hoped we would have it up in time for her December birthday, but no.

We had a brick fireplace to demolition. And then the fencing around the dog kennel. Then the cement base of the kennel. We took down the wooden perimeter fence. And felled five pines. Enter jack hammer and removal. And then the hole to fill--in the hottest week of July. Shane's fever held us back last weekend, but today: we got it up.

The girls buzzed with excitement. I felt a sweet relief of the familiar. And nearly a year later, Erin sat in my lap on the swing as we swayed and she sang, "The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round." Life felt good.

We still have some framing to install, and wood chips, but the play set is up and functional.

"After coffee tomorrow, I'm going outside to swing and listen to the birds sing," I mentioned out loud.

"Me too!" Lanie said.

But tonight I went out after dinner, wine glass in hand, and sat alone on a swing. Thunder's muted rumble off in the distance. I think often of life before and after. And with a variety of undertones, I think to myself, I can't believe we're here.








No comments: