Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Snake in the garden

I was out this morning pulling dead leaves from the grassy bladed lilies, removing fairy goblets, weeding. I went from garden to garden (we have a lot here). I was in the pool area, pulling from the beds there and remembered the snake that hid among the bricks of the retaining wall/bench. All along, reaching into these grassy bundles, I'm thinking, "Watch out for snakes."

So why would it surprise me when I found one?

"Snake!" I yelled out. No one heard me and I felt silly, because so what if someone could? I stood there contemplating my next move, thinking it unwise to be sockless in Keds instead of armored with snake-stomper boots.

I got the muck rake, "Come on, Lanie. There's a snake I want to show you."

We went down and I ran the rake behind the grasses to reveal the snake, now climbing along the fence line.

He had orange and brown and white on him.

"Go get my phone," I told her. But so many minutes pass, I knew she couldn't find it. So I got my camera. When I got back to the garden, the snake was gone.

I called Shane and told him the story. He laughed.

"I'm going to go back to eating my lunch now," he said.

"I drew a (mustard) heart in your sandwich last night," I told him.

"I know. I can taste it," he said. Love him.

Good life.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I bought 10,000 Reasons on my way home from church on Saturday night. I have been listening to it over and over...

Blessings abound!