Monday, August 13, 2012

The best-ever potato salad

I'm pretty plain when it comes to potato salad: potatoes, celery, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. I tried to branch out with a different recipe that called for relish and some other things. It was ok. Nothing worth repeating. But one of my friends made this for the 66 Books cookout, and I haven't been able to stop thinking of it. I would have made it yesterday, but didn't have parsley. So my potatoes got mashed and mixed with the yummy boursin cheese in the fridge (which is worth repeating).

The best-ever potato salad

about 2 lbs of potatoes
1 cup HELLMANNS real mayonnaise
2 T vinegar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
ground black pepper
celery, onion, parsley

(Her) notes:  I always at least double the recipe; it holds well in the fridge for a good 2 days.  Use white vinegar please - my mom has had a habit of using apple cider vinegar and it's gross, in my opinion, so just use good old white vinegar.  I use good salt too - a nice sea salt is great.  And I admit that I usually get a little sloppy on measuring my vinegar - so I usually end up with a dash more vinegar that the actual recipe calls for.  I only ever use Hellmanns, or when in the South I've used Duke's which is Hellmanns under a different name.  I figure if you are going to eat potato salad, enjoy it so I don't use any of the low fat or other brands. I also use a good amount of parsley.  I mix the dressing in a clear glass measuring cup, grind in pepper until the dressing is mildly flaked with pepper and then throw in parsley until I like how it looks.  Not much science to it - I really have no idea how much parsley I use but it's usually a smallish mound in the palm of my hand.  I often use red potatoes and sometimes white but I don't use baking potatoes. . .

No comments: