Thursday, October 25, 2012

Skates

I took Lanie roller skating tonight at a local rink. It was Thrifty Thursday there, and she was my date. I texted a friend to see if she'd be interested in joining us, and she brought two of her daughters. Luckily, the girls were at the same beginning level and enjoyed each other's company in the beginner corner. Their mom and I enjoyed some great throw-back music: Def Leppard, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, and the Village People.

There were about fifteen people at the rink spanning generations. It felt so small town and friendly. And I was happy we are home schoolers staying out on a school night until the rink closed at nine. (Smiles--that's late for Lanie!)

Lanie hugged the wall at first, but by the end of the night she was skating around the big rink, lap after lap. I trailed behind her at a not-hovering distance. I enjoyed the lights and the music and the antics of the regulars there. And I felt especially thankful for friends who are spontaneous, who share great slices of life with us, and witnessing such a confident moment for Lanie.

She told me she felt like she was still skating when she got her street shoes on. Talk of coming back again soon. And having a birthday party there. I was thinking the same thing--for myself!

Good times.

No comments: