Saturday, February 16, 2013

Written on the heart




I stood there looking at the canvas.

"I really want to write on the floors," I said.

"I was wondering if you would," he replied.

I grabbed Sharpies, and with Bible open, wrote the verse that we felt spoke to us about this home, years ago when God gave us the urge to move: Deuteronomy 8:6-9. Two dogs wiggled and wagged around me.

The kids joined me in writing our names and ages and little pictures. Then Shane put down the underlayment and began to nail the boards down.

"I'm going to dance with you on that floor," I said.

He laughed.

Thanks, God, for bringing us here.

2 comments:

6intow said...

Beautiful floor!

We wrote on our subfloor, too when everything was ripped up, in another life it seems. Each child's verse in their bedroom, God watching our "steps," glorifying him in our eating. So amazing to have the physically under-girding all that we do.

Love it! ~Erin

Courtney said...

Thanks, Erin. It's hard to believe it's been almost a year since we started renovating this room. Summer outside work took us away from it for many months, but it's really coming together.

I love that you wrote on your floors! Isn't it kinda wild to wonder how many others have scripture imbedded within the walls and floorboards of their homes?

I will certainly write on my kids' floors whenever we get around to replacing their carpet.