Thursday, April 11, 2013

24 pies

I had the pleasure of helping a friend with a project: baking Mason jar pies.

She brought over all the ingredients, pre-measured (because she is super organized), and all the things I'd need. And I set to work.

There were two extras for us (Lanie, Shane and I) to sample--and so we did. Can't wait to find another opportunity to do this again. Cute, easy, tasty. Good for picnics, cookouts, neighbor gifts (of course!).

Did I say picnics? Let's go.


Premade pie crust makes this super easy

frozen mixed berries

topped with crumb topping

Aren't these denim circles and embellishments adorable?

I don't know where she got the recipe to give it credit, but I have it here:

Filling:
12 cups fruit
12 T sugar
12 T flour
1 t cinnamon
2 T lemon juice
6 T butter (to dot tops of pies before the crumb topping, but I think you could leave this part out if doing the crumb topping, because there's enough butter in that!)

 Use rims to cut circles for bottom of jars. Make rectangles and line sides. Press seams. Fill each pie with 1/2 cup of filling.

Topping (for 4-6 pies):

1 1/4 c brown sugar
1 1/4 c flour
10 T oats
1 1/4 t cinnamon
15 T cold butter

Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon and butter, and cut to crumbles. Mix in oats. 

Bake 375 for 1 hour and 15 mins. Check crusts from time to time to make sure they don't burn.

No comments: