Friday, May 24, 2013

We are the champions, my friends

Homemade mac n' cheese. Not my specialty. But it's cold for a holiday weekend, and burgers with cold potato salad didn't seem right when I have on a long-sleeve shirt and secretly wish to start a fire up in the fireplace.

So I decided to make mac n' cheese. Comfort food and summer-like all in one fell swoop.

This turned out to be the best batch I've ever made. Even Lanie, who has held champions of mac n' cheese above me, was won over.

Homemade macaroni and cheese

Cook up about half your box of mac noodles to al dente. Drain. Wait.

In a pot, melt 3 tbs butter. Add some hefty shakes of dry mustard (about 1 generous tsp), a few less hefty shakes of onion powder, and pepper. The throw in 2 tbs of flour. Make a fragrant roux. Add 2 1/2 cups of milk. Let thicken. Add about 1/2 cup, generous, of sour cream. Toss in a very good amount of cheddar cheese, and a good handful of shredded mozarella. Melt. Add pasta and combine.

Add more milk as needed. Top with seasoned bread crumbs if you like. (Or skip that step and eat it right out of the pot like I did this afternoon.) You can bake it off to a lovely golden brown, if you're the patient type. Eyeball it at 350 degrees.

This is my new favorite. And Lanie's too.

Thanks to Beckie, Miss Linda, and my beloved friend Nicole for making this moment possible. I learned from the best.

No comments: