Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Snapshot

Yesterday had a chance of morning snow flurries.

It flurried.

I grabbed armloads of wood and brought them inside. After piano lessons, I started a fire in the wood stove in the school room. It was windy outside. Gray skies. Low clouds.

Inside we had books opened, and fire crackling. Erin and I sat on the area rug in the school room, near the wood stove, and read Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder--it's November reading for a December project.

One day we hope to get some comfy chairs to put on the rug. But considering it took us two years to pick out the rug, I'm thinking we might just have to get used to sitting on the floor for a bit longer. Shane and I sometimes have wildly different tastes.

Open field vs the woods.

Sandy beaches vs the woods.

No leaves vs the woods.

Summer vs fall (in the woods).

The only carpet we have in the house is the runner on the steps, the carpet leading to the basement, and the Berber carpet in the girls' rooms. Having a rug underfoot, a soft one at that, is a very simple pleasure.

Erica popped by in the afternoon for a quick hello. The four of us girls sat on the floor in the school room, by the heat of the wood stove. I pulled out shiny, coppery pennies from my wallet, and Erica entertained us with penny catching tricks.

It was super cold and still windy when she left.

I got more wood to start up a fire in the stove in the living room.

No comments: