Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Blur

Wrapped gifts last night. Prepped dough for rolls. Remembered to take dog's bone and stick it under the tree. Slept restlessly after 5 a.m. as my mind played the order: tree lights, rolls on counter, preheat oven to 375, queue music.

Over and over.

Just before 7 a.m. the kids were up, and it was on.

Snagged a few pictures, and they're all blurry. It seems fitting.
















I remember in the 70s that my mom seemed appalled that Amy Carter would roller skate on the White House floors--though I don't know if she did or not. I might Google it. But I knew today, in our little white and brick house, my kids would roller skate on our floors--and I couldn't wait. Erin has been at it since she put them on, and the wheels light up as she goes around.

Around.



And around.

Again, and again.



The dog has been chewing her bone. Rolls baked off and consumed. Wrappings gathered and gifts played with. These past few days have been so nice, and I hoped I'd remember the good things: the hug from Pamela when I gave her sprinkle cookies; rows of peanut butter blossoms; music playing in the rooms; the wrapping paper reveal (the kids like their own paper, goes back a ways, and this year I didn't tell them which was whose, but left a clue in their stockings); hazelnut coffee, easy time with my family. Sweet things, and funny things, and happy things.

For our friends and family who pop by to see what we're up to, we hope your Christmas was also a delightful blur, full of love and a deep happiness.

No comments: