Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Love language

The kids were hyped up yesterday from too much sugar. We baked (and when I say "we", it really means "I" because the kids went outside to play just as I started plopping cookies on the cookie sheet) cake mix cookies, peanut butter blossoms, and chocolate bark with almonds and dried cherries.


sprinkle cookies

cake mix sprinkle cookies

still filling boxes


We packaged up boxes and delivered them. At one house, we were invited in, and the kids sampled cookies that that neighbor had baked (sugar cookies--from a recipe handed down many generations).

When we got home, the kids were a jumpy mess of energy. I fixed dinner and headed out to church to serve for one of the Christmas services. I got home at 8:30 p.m. to chat Shane. I hear the tell-tale creak of little feet on the steps. Erin pops from around the corner.

"I can't sleep!" she said. Commenced hugging of dog and parents in an effort to stall.

"Go back to bed!" I said.

Shane and I headed up a bit later, and as I get to the top of the stairs, there was Erin: wide-eyed and smiley.

"Go to sleep," I whispered.

The next thing I know, she's climbing into bed between me and Shane, and she's chatting up a storm.

"I just can't help it! I can't sleep. I'm so excited for Lanie to get her presents on Christmas!" she gushed.

Erin's love language is undeniably gifts. She gets into the picking of the present, all the way down to wrapping it. And that sweet little heart was sleepless in anticipation of telling her sister in her own language how much she loves her.

No comments: