Wednesday, January 15, 2014

January 15

I remember my address from the house I grew up in.

I remember my elementary school best friend's phone number.

I remember an ex-boyfriend's birthday. Which falls the day before a former friend's birthday, so it's like a double dose of wishing I could remember something more useful to life today.

I can't remember much of what I did last weekend, or the weekend before, or what we had for dinner Monday night. I can't even remember what I wore to church on Sunday.

I don't remember phone numbers (except Christy's and Shane's) or many passwords or information I would want to know.

But I remember what today is, because I had written it down, carried over from 2011 into 2012, which then made it to 2013--with sorrow in place of fanfare. So when transferring dates into this year, the reminder sat in its box, where I had to leave it; but like some things, it stays with me.

And I remember, with sadness, and disappointment, and a mix of other feelings too.

On, on.

No comments: