Thursday, February 20, 2014

Certainly beautiful things come

It was the way the light came through the window and brightened the section of wall in a photograph, and I remembered.

I wondered if she remembered like this too. What triggered her time travel? Wondered if it felt the same, the tossing of emotions, and a sadness in the passing of time.

"Nothing beautiful really lasts, does it?"
It was quite true. All the nasty things like tempers and rows with Aunt Margaret went on and on, and you couldn't get rid of them. They might stop for a time, but you knew they would always come back, but the beautiful things like holidays and blossoms and sunsets and birds singing faded and died and left you feeling empty. Certainly other beautiful things came and took their places, but it didn't comfort you for the ones that had gone.

The Tanglewoods' Secret by Patricia St. John.

Yesterday, afternoon light burst past the trees and through the bay window. It laid on me like a blanket. A mug of chamomile tea, warmth within and without. I know one day, these images will be memories, like life before.

I will remember winter mornings and sunrises reaching out to me through the trees. I will remember hills and sleds and icy driveways. I will remember the kindness of neighbors and the gifts to my children. I will remember how the ice wrapped around and dripped off the captain's bell, how weighted limbs broke and the air was pine scented. I will remember the bird song, the anticipation of spring, the scent of apple blossoms, the work of hauling mulch, and the splash of summer swimming.

Other beautiful things may one day come to take the place--but no, it doesn't necessarily comfort for what has gone. 

On, on.

2 comments:

MarshallsMommy said...

Love the photo of Erin - what a sweetie!

Courtney said...

Thank you! Was going through some old pictures. :)