Monday, April 21, 2014

Nearly new

Our house was built in the early 70s. There are so many things I love about it--it reminds me of my childhood; it has its own character; the trees are grown and mature. I fell in love with the slate floors. I fell in love with the hobnail light fixtures. I even liked the two-tone doorknobs.

As we began to change things around here, I planned to replace the doorknobs, something along the lines of oil-rubbed bronze. I decided to get a can of spray paint and paint the existing main level doorknobs myself. (This is totally inspired by one of my favorite DIY blogs: young house love.)

Part of our Easter weekend was spent in a little makeover and lots of painting. Pizza boxes are awesome props for holding screws and doorknobs for 360 degree spraying.

Here's a shot of what the doorknobs looked like before:




And after:



I like the change. I liked that we used what was original to the house. I like that it was such a simple project with a good result. The laundry room is almost complete as I toggle between inside work and outside work. Cabinets painted, hardware painted, just a minor setback with a drill that died. Hopefully we'll get everything back in place this coming weekend. I absolutely love how bright white the doors are.


No comments: