Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Spelling and math

The day's plans got canceled fast with the threat of thunderstorms.

It didn't rain at all.

The house was quiet, so quiet that I sat and listened to it. Lanie upstairs reading. Erin outside adventuring. Here it is, our summer vacation, and it is still. (It was such a tranquil sound. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of my kids laughing and playing, but this is rare.)

The sun was out and we visited a neighbor and petted her dogs. We came back home and I baked banana chocolate chip bread (a double batch) with the spotty bananas on the counter. While it cooked, I pulled out Erin's spelling book to finish up the couple of lessons co-op left unfinished. I only expected to do one lesson.


She laughed and hugged me after one and said, "I want to do more. I like doing school with you." And I wondered again why we co-op when at-home is so crazy wonderful. "Let's do another one! But only with you," she continued.




We did three. And a math lesson (schooling math through the summer for both kids).


Afterwards, the quick bread was done and I set it out to cool.

I plugged my ears and headed out to the tractor to cut the field. Buttercups everywhere. She ran down to the edge with a note waving as I passed by.

It read: can I tipe?

I nodded yes, and she scampered off in skirt and bare feet. She stopped and turned and smiled and waved.

I smiled and waved back.

(After dinner, we cut into a still warm loaf. Erin asked for seconds, and Lanie agreed. And so we did.)

Banana chocolate chip bread


1/4 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar (reduced from 1 cup)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2-3 ripe bananas
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
 
Spray an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan with Pam spray (I've switched to coconut oil).
 
In a large bowl, combine ingredients except nuts and chocolate chips. Mash together thoroughly.
 
Add nuts and chocolate chips; stir to mix.
 
Bake for 50-60 minutes. Cool in loaf pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto cooling rack to cool completely.
 
Make a double batch and stick one in your freezer or gift it to a friend. Enjoy!

No comments: