Sunday, August 3, 2014

Handshakes

We went to David and Anita's house today for a brunch. We celebrated David's 80th birthday.
 

I loved seeing the familiar faces of people we've grown to know all these years from cookouts, Passover, birthdays and a bar mitzvah. Loved the feeling of warmth and love whenever I enter their house. Loved the good food Anita prepares, and how she exudes hospitality.

David's friends Lenny and Wasil also turned eighty this year. I thought it was pretty cool they've been close friends for so many years. I snagged a picture of them.


Wasil--I never knew he had this funny side

caught in the act

We sang to David.

I hope he wished
He was showered in cards and hugs and kisses. He shared a box of chocolates with all his guests.

Erin raided their cookie cabinet.

I'm sure she hit it up more than once
 I took pictures of his dogs. (David got me hooked on hounds.)


Slowly, guests began to leave.

I watched David shake Wasil's hand. Watched how they lingered.


I watched him, later, shake Lenny's hand.


I was close enough to hear Lenny say, "Let's make sure we do this again next year."

"Yes, let's," David responded. He smiled and nodded. (My heart swelled to hear this exchange. Thank you, God, that I witnessed these precious details in their friendship.)

Anita spent time with me and we looked at the pictures that filled the spaces of her kitchen. She explained who everyone was. Shared history about family and friends. I couldn't help but notice how relationally rich her life is.

"Friends and family," she said. "That's all that matters in life."


I think she is the most beautiful woman I've ever met. I'm lucky, so lucky, to be loved by them.

2 comments:

MarshallsMommy said...

Love this post. What a happy day you had! Thanks for sharing.

Courtney said...

And I didn't cry! Though I did get a bit teary writing this. It was a really lovely day.