Tuesday, August 26, 2014

In the woods

"I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms."    Henry David Thoreau, Walden: Or, Life in the Woods
 If you guessed I cried when I read this, you'd be right.


4 comments:

Nora said...

I want to live deliberately. Maybe I'll have two words for my word next year.

Courtney said...

I had wholehearted this year. It's a close relative. I heard this the other day when I watched "Dead Poets Society." You gotta watch that again. I cried when I heard it and I cried when I looked it up. But I have a real soft spot for the woods, so it's doubly meaningful. What was your word this year?

Nora said...

Home is my word this year, hence the strong pull to not return to the co-op. I tried to borrow the movie from the library today. I'm number 37 in line. I'm probably going to just buy it. It's one of those buy movies.

Courtney said...

Oh, I love the word home. Love, love, love it. And yes, that movie is one to buy.