Thursday, September 4, 2014

Over 24 hours

There has been no chocolate in the house for several weeks. I've been looking for a package of Hershey bars for s'mores, but I never seem to find them at the store. I was doing ok with it, except for yesterday, who knows why, I was on a ravenous search for it in the house. I saw a Ghirardelli semi-sweet baking bar. It didn't matter it was semi-sweet. I opened that bar up and broke off two squares. Shane saw the evidence later.

"Baking chocolate?" he asked.

Guilty.

***

Erin had her first piano lesson today. She battled keeping me in the room with her and kicking me out. She clutched at my arm and I peeled her little fingers off and went into the waiting room with Lanie. We heard the lesson through the wall. Tentative tapping on the keys.

"I can't do it!" she exclaimed to the instructor.

"Yes you can, sweet love," I whispered to the wall. Lanie smiled.

Erin came out of that room some time later with some books. She couldn't wait to get home to practice.

"I'm going to teach you tomorrow," she told me. Shane got a private concert when he got home from work.

***

Cut the grasses in the field late this afternoon. Watched a black snake slide past. It was long and oily looking. Moved fluid like it was being poured out like a rivulet across the lawn.

***

A friend called me and said she had a block (read: pounds) of cheese for us. The kids and I walked over to get it. She bagged up several varieties of tomatoes from her garden and handed me a bottle of hot sauce. She texted me her recipe for gazpacho. I made it tonight and ate a bowl of it, thinking how homemade croutons would have been the perfect topping.

I used:

approximately 10 ounces of vegetable juice (V-8 low sodium)
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
a good dousing of olive oil
a big beefsteak tomato and several plum tomatoes, chopped
1/2 peeled and chopped cucumber
about 1/2 green pepper and 1/2 onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves
several shakes of hot sauce
some coarse salt

Blend in a blender to desired consistency. Would be delightful with garlic Parmesan croutons on top. But some sliced baguette for dipping was good enough in a pinch.

***

Woke up super early this morning. Shane came downstairs.

"Good morning!" I said. All smiles. Amped.

"Did you drink a pot of coffee?" he asked.

Oh, Lake and Lodge. The last pod.

Note to self: must get more.

No comments: