Sunday, September 21, 2014

The whole earth

We had a lovely bonfire last night.

the fire pile

I love the smell of a campfire


A glass of red, kids roasting marshmallows, that man of mine. I listened to the night sounds of the woods. Crickets and locust and owls. So many sounds, a chorus.

I doubt the owl hated the cricket. Or the frog hated the locust. They each had a song to sing, independent of the other, and yet in unison.

At church service earlier last night, I listened to the singers and sang along with them. I will never be on stage to sing, and I'm ok with that. But I watched a lead singer sing her heart out for God, and how can you not help be happy for her talent, and know that God is pleased how she glorifies him with her gift? The gift he gave her.

I think of friends and their gifts. Marshall's Mom's amazing artistic talents. She never ceases to amaze me with the things she does. And I would never think of hating her that I don't do those things or that she does them so well. She has inspired me to try my hand at craftiness, however elementary my attempts. I will probably never be as good as she is, and I don't need to be. I can "sing" along with her. I know that God is glorified how she blesses so many with her talents. The ones he gave her.

I think of friends who are wired to serve. They are the ones there in a pinch to help watch a child or let a dog out or to clean up after a party. They inspire me to open my eyes to need around me and help out out of love.

I think of friends who are generous givers. They have blessed me on many occasions with thoughtfulness. They've helped me to see how to bless others in giving, and to do it with an open hand and a happy heart. They are an inspiration.

Other people do hospitality way better than I, and I'm glad I can look at them as a source of inspiration, rather than irritation. I'm glad I can see the beauty and heart they bring to their tables and homes. And while the beauty of my home may be questionable to some, I bring my heart. A beautiful home, or any of the above, without heart is just show.

Last night, a friend and her family joined us later. The bonfire had burned low and we were inside when they arrived. Hot dogs microwaved and plastic plates for serving because a dishwasher was bursting full. We sat around the table and talked, and my house was a mess and the counters cluttered, and it was so last minute to call them over. But if she noticed, she didn't say, and her eyes didn't let on about a thing. She's been here when I've tidied up, and even now when the thought of the visit outweighed the protocol of presentation.

She sent me a message today. "So thankful for you!" God is pleased when I open my home, and a friend is blessed (and we are too!) by letting her into our hearts. And the owl, and the frog, and the locust don't care. They sing their own song. I sing mine.

And they were calling to one another: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory." Isaiah 6:3, NIV.

And it is.

"I tell you," he replied, "if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." Luke 19:40, NIV.

And they will.

Running my race. Those who love me and love the Lord will cheer me on. And those who don't, won't.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, put first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

No comments: