Tuesday, September 23, 2014

This and that

We went outside to grab the free paper for a school project. When we crossed the line from shadows to light, we both immediately pressed our hands against the black pavement.

"Ahh, it feels so good!" she said.

I laid down and tried to warm myself from head to toe against the blacktop. That kiddo laid down next to me. We were there hardly five minutes, but long enough that I felt myself drifting off.

"Mom?" she asked.

"I'm so tired," I mumbled. The warmth felt so good. It's hard to warm up in the shade. Oh, sunlight.

"Come on, Mom!" she tickled and tugged at me.

"Can't I just take a nap here?" I asked.

We walked up to the top of the driveway and got the paper to make a shepherd's crook. She's outside painting. I just finished a cup of coffee.

***

It's the first day of autumn. I love all the seasons. And as someone said on the radio today, pumpkin spice is jumping the shark. We saw pumpkin spice soda, pumpkin spice popcorn, pumpkin spice tea, pumpkin spice pretzels ... just to name a few at the grocery store.

I know I'll miss summer.

A friend asked me, "So are you still on outdoor projects or have you started indoor things?"

She's always interested in our go-go-go around here.

"I'm in Great Books. That's about all I do now," I said.

Seriously. So glad it is fall, because I can let up on the grass cutting to about every other week. As for cleaning the house or ever putting things away ... that's anyone's guess. Or until we have company.

***

Stunning sunset tonight. Pink that mixed with orange. I saw it through the bay window. Lanie and I got ready to take a walk.

"Let's go see the sunset," I said. It was fading fast.

We ran down the driveway.

"It's going!" she said.

"Oh!" We ran on.

We got to the top of the driveway and caught the last smidge of it. Then we walked in the dark. Houses already getting decorated for Halloween. Orange lights in the window of one. A ghost in a tree in the yard of another.

This will be our fourth trick-or-treat here.

***

A picture:



orange in the yard, happens every September

No comments: