Thursday, September 11, 2014

Twenty minutes-ish

Now that Erin is taking piano lessons, we need to get her a little tote for her piano books. I decided to make one. (Insert laugh track.)  Lanie and I went off to a store to get fabric and cotton webbing (had to Google that--it's the handle material).

I can't tell you how many times I walked the aisles, though I'm sure Lanie could. I didn't have Erin with me, but thought for sure that I would be able to find something she'd love. With hundreds of choices, though, I was having a hard time. Some had too much white. Others looked too grown up. Others still lacked wow factor. I loved the fabric I saw at the tutorial site, and was bent on getting apples. No such luck.

"Mom! Just pick something!" Lanie said. We'd been there an hour, at least.

"I know this is hard for you, but it's even harder for me because I'm stuck in my head!" I told her, with a smile.

I picked a fabric and hoped Erin would like it. We worked on it this morning because she wanted to be part of it. It took a little longer since I had some reacquainting to do with the sewing machine. The last time I sewed anything was with Marshall's mom at least five years ago.

Improvised sewing table


We did finish it. Erin chatted me the whole time, put pins away, and was such a delight.

"Can I show it to Lanie?!" she asked when I handed it over to her.

"Yep!" I said.

"I can't believe Mommy actually made something," she said, aloud, to herself as she walked away.

I hear you, kid. It's like eighth grade home economics all over again--the tote project.

Not perfect by any means. But she loves it (and I love her), and that's all that really matters.



Linked to the site that inspired and taught this. Great instructions, especially for people like me who hate following directions. Love it!

No comments: