Tuesday, October 7, 2014

On freezer meals

I was telling Shane about a site that had crockpot meals for the freezer. One friend is doing forty meals. There were other plans for twenty and seven.

"I could do seven," I mused. "Crockpot meals could be good."

We don't use ours often. I think I use it for beef stew or taco soup. Since we ate pizza four days in a week (twice for lunch, English muffin pizzas the day I stacked wood, and a homemade one Sunday night), I'm thinking I need to branch out a little. Despite having a bursting board of suggestions on Pinterest, I'm really becoming bored with meal planning and cooking these days. I've been doing this for twenty years. Burnout happens.

"Crockpot ... what kind of meals are they? There isn't that much variety for crockpot," he said.

"There was beef stew. And chicken stew," I started. He kind of rolled his eyes, and I knew he thought it would be all stews.

"There was General Tso's chicken too, and other stuff," I added.

Shane made a comment wondering of the origin of General Tso's chicken, if he was a general with a cooking hobby.

"It was probably his favorite," I offered. "Like I'd name Sausage and Peppers after you."

"They should have named it Mrs. Tso's chicken," he said.

I thought it was the funniest thing, I had to put my coffee mug down before I spilled it from laughing.

No comments: