Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Smile

This past weekend was busy with the camera. My niece asked me if I'd photograph her wedding rehearsal, and I felt so honored that she'd want me to. Of course, I said yes!

The next morning, a dear friend allowed me to come over and photograph her family--her father is terminal and his children and grandchildren came for a last visit. I was a crying mess all week long as I thought about the privilege to be a part of their lives at this time, and hoped and prayed I'd give them images they could enjoy.

It was hard to meet this man, so loved and so loving, to feel the warmth of his hands, to see his eyes and he looked into mine--his were so strong and his look was intentional. This shoot completely changed me.

Sunday, two families came to our house to let me practice on photographing groups, learning how to work with people and natural light. I learned a lot. I have a lot more to learn too.

Today, two more families are coming out, and I have at least six more in queue over the next few weeks.

I'm not charging for the shoots because I'm so thankful for the experience and practice. My kids probably are too--having been my subjects for their whole lives.

Sunday, Shane got in on the action by helping me find good light in the yard. I'd tell him where to stand, and then I'd step back and take his picture. We walked all over the yard. He was such a great sport. I put together a collage of him doing this. And for whatever reason, I howled with laughter because he was my light model and that the families who came here were in all those same spots where I put him.



He indulged me with a few selfies. He even smiled.


4 comments:

Nora said...

Thank you so much, friend!

Courtney said...

Thank YOU! I hope you like the pictures!

Connie Lilly said...

You are so very talented! Your pictures of Courtney's wedding rehearsal were FABULOUS! Thank you from the bottom of this Momma's heart for the beautiful memories of my daughter's wedding rehearsal! I love you to the moon and back!

Courtney said...

Anything for you, Connie. Love you!