Saturday, November 1, 2014

By the fire

A neighbor sent me a text to stop by yesterday afternoon. She had purchased some trick--or-treat bags for my girls and assembled some goodies in a separate sack for them. We talked a bit and Erin played with her dogs.

Later, Viviana came over. We headed out. There aren't lots of kids who do Halloween around here. I think several families go someplace else. But we go to the neighbors who flank us, and up along the cul-de-sac nearby.

One neighbor dressed up. She joked and chatted my kids. And I felt so much love for her. There aren't other trick-or-treaters in these parts. She dressed up for us.

[Shane began to comment about the homemade dog costume I did for Erin. "At first I thought it was kinda lame, but it's actually really cute." (The make-up saved it.)


Erin told me as I sewed the ears, "I don't care how it looks, Mom. I just want to get candy." This is grace.]

The next house also put together a fab sac for the girls. This woman who has shared coffee and heart with me at my table. All along the yards, the kids cut through and ran and giggled. There was the chorus of "trick-or-treat" and then an equal amount of "thank you!".

I loved listening to the leaves crunch underfoot. Loved all the houses with porch lights awaiting our arrival, homeowners with bowls of candy and kind words for the kids. One man pulled into his driveway just as we were finishing up. He called out to us, "My wife put some candy out on the porch!"

We went up to meet him. Had a chat about his lovely patio. He looked around for the bowl of goods, but no luck. He went inside and came back with little bottles of apple juice.

"Would this be ok?" he asked the kids.

"Yes!" they cheered.

When we got home, I noticed my kids had Beanie Boo key chains.

"Where did you get those?" I asked. There were two. Someone had gone out and purchased those with my kids in mind. Lanie gave hers to Vivi.

The kids spilled out their loot and swapped (this is so funny to me--Lanie would never have considered it. I polled some kids at co-op about what they do on Halloween and I remember Lanie's look of shock when someone even suggested trading candy. And with enough time to mull it over, she realized it wasn't so bad after all. In fact, it was great fun.). My heart warmed at memories being made, and I hoped they would look back on these days fondly. I know I will.

We watched some cartoons on TV and started up a fire. My kids handed over Reese's cups (yum!). I laughed at remembering Lanie saying, "One house had lots of Take 5 bars, but I don't know if I got one. I kept thinking, 'Dear Jesus, let me get one for Mom!'"

She didn't get one, but Vivi did. Lanie traded with her so she could give it to me.

We played with glow bracelets and when Jackie came to get Vivi, the visit was too short.

"Let's play next Friday!" I said.

The girls got ready for bed, and Shane poured us each a glass of red wine. We sat by the fire and I smiled.




No comments: