Friday, December 12, 2014

Cinder

He comes home to a warm house tonight and I stoke the fire.

"I'm going to have to get some more starters made up," I mention. "It's nice when this stove has some coals still hot in the morning so we can just start up from them."

"I haven't had that happen in a while," he tells me. We discuss fire strategy and planning.

"We should get some wood stacked up for the morning," he comments.

"I already did," I say. "Didn't you see it in the garage when you came in?"

Pause. Pause.

"I guess not," I finish.

"No, I meant have wood stacked up by the stoves. Different sizes and starter pieces," he explains.

"And fill up these (egg carton lids that we use to hold the scooped kindling)," I say.

Pause. Pause.

"That's a good idea," I agree, handing him two egg carton lids. "Why don't you get these scooped up for tomorrow's fires?"

Smiling, me.

"Um, by we, I really meant you," he laughs and walks off to get wood for the morning.

No comments: