Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Nativity

We put the tree up on Sunday. All of pop-pop-popping the sections together and plugging it in. Yay for the pre-lit tree. We put it by a window and found a nearby neighbor positioned his similarly so we could enjoy his lights as much as he enjoyed ours. (He told us so one year). Sweet.

Erin asked me about the Fisher Price Nativity set. Apparently, she looks forward to it because it only comes out at Christmas. It was at the bottom of a box. I took it out.

"Joseph is missing," Erin said. One of the two girls said, "I don't even remember what he looks like."

Erin pushed the button that played Away in a Manger, more than once. Now, going on a third day, I hear the most exuberant nativity playing ever. It's a little disturbing. Example:

"OH JESUS!" one yells. In another time (meaning my own childhood time), I would have thought they were swearing.

"Quick, to the manger!" another calls out. Great drama ensues.

I try not to laugh at their dialogue. They talk plainly of Jesus and his return and heavenly bodies and new names.

"Wouldn't it be cool if he comes back on his birthday?" one asked.

Today, it sounds like Jesus is at the grocery store as one of the girls rattles off a list of baking ingredients.They pay in gold.

"Mary?" one called.

"Yeah?" the answer.

"Come on outside."

Queue Away in a Manger.

(Me, laughing inside. Self: do not forget this!)

A wise man rides past me on a camel, and Erin seats herself at the piano and plays Good King Wenceslas and We Three Kings of Orient Are.

Good life.

No comments: