Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's day

Erin climbed into bed this morning to cuddle. Then we went downstairs and the girls gave me cards they made. Enjoyed two cups of coffee, and Shane wondered what the ruckus of birds was by the window. We went closer to check it out and found a snake in the branches. Woods life.

He wore the "I love my awesome wife" shirt and got lots of hugs and kisses for it.

"What do you want to do today?" he asked.

There was a nursery I wanted to check out, but nothing pressing. Before I know it, he's got a chainsaw and we're yanking the landscaping away from the front of the house. (Except for the snake tree. Although the snake was gone, we are leaving that tree for the time being. Many of the trees had grown too large and were beyond my shaping skills. We, also being fans of the neat-and-tidy, wanted to redesign the front landscaping to be more, you know, neat and tidy.)

I planted a tomato plant, two herbs and jalapeno and green pepper plants. We brought up the patio dining set. I weeded the left half of the front garden and turned mulch. The kids brought us water refills.
"Funny how we sometimes don't even plan for it and then get into something big," he said. We did that so whimsically with the school room remodel. And now, today, with landscaping--always a sometime in the future project. It was such a relief to us both.

"I've got three words for you: bump and scootch." It's code for quasi-kitchen remodel. Probably won't happen until I get my hands on a sledgehammer.

We eventually did get to the nursery, but just looked around. We drove by David and Anita's to drop a little something off for her. On a scenic route home, we passed by a home and I looked longingly into the yard: fenced in, full of children and family and a hammock--all the fixings for summer memories. I hope we have that some day, when the kids come back here with their families and we enjoy being with each other. I always wonder if I would have had something like that with my mom if she had lived, but I don't think so.

When we got home, Lanie shucked corn and helped me get dinner together: bbq chicken, corn, herbed noodles, salad.

"I had a really nice Mother's Day," Shane said.

"Yes, you did," I said, smiling and he laughed.

It was a great day being together. 

No comments: