Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Six and two

So long, six and two. Last day of school. A fall that came too soon, a winter that lasted too long, a spring that seemed to languish and a mad dash to the finish.

The end-of-year program was a great success. I loved the Medieval Great Books skit--the kids did so well. Loved the little tune L'Arbre Fee de Bourlemont.

My kids and I worked on thank you notes for tutors and yesterday I baked cookies and read through the last parts of The Canterbury Tales. Lost miserably to a student in a waffle bake-off, but what fun!

Said goodbye to some moms, calling out to them in shouts of happy wishes, arms waving, and loud love. I know what that feeling is like, to know the end like that and drive away from a piece of something--one mom wiping tears from her face as she won't be back next year. So many families like worker ants, loading cars, heading out for a summer vacation that begins now. I just stayed in the moment, watching those moms drive off, being present in the goodbye.

"Did you see her face?" I asked a mom, but maybe she didn't with all the families passing by.

Sweet sister, I hope we meet again. I won't forget your tears or your heart.

The day had its trying moments. I still have papers to grade and reports to write up. But I look around at paper piles and book piles and I know that someday soon, I will take back my house. Lanie put a book in front of me that she just finished and wants me to read. I told her I'd start it tonight.

Lanie goes to seventh. Erin goes to third. I head into Ancients.

But first, summer.

2 comments:

Nora said...

So glad you made it to summer! Hope to see you soon!

Courtney said...

You will! Swim party in our future for sure!