Friday, July 10, 2015

GF recipes from my friend Lori

My friend Lori dealt with gluten issues years ago and was one of the first people I reached out to for help when we got the diagnosis. She is the one who told me about her favorite websites, resources, where to shop, and how to disassemble the kids' favorites and rebuild them.

She sent me these recipes to try.

Caramel Bars


1/4 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup chopped pecans or other nuts
3/4 cup GF flour mix
1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum [unless the flour already has it]
dash salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup sweet coconut

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x9 baking pan with Pam. Melt butter in saucepan [or microwave]. Stir in sugar, beaten egg. Measure flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt. Stir into mix. Add 1 tsp GF vanilla extract. Add coconut and nuts and stir to blend. Mixture will be thick. Spread with spatula into pan and bake for 30-35 min till top is golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool on rack. Cut into bars when cool.
 
 
 

Impossible Coconut Custard Pie


Preheat oven 350.
1/2 cup Bisquick [I use GF Bisquick of course]
3/4 cup sugar
4 eggs
2 cup milk [I’ve tried coconut milk before too, worked ok]
1 cup flaked coconut
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract [I sometimes use 1 tsp of vanilla and 1/2 tsp pure coconut extract]
 1/4 cup butter, softened

Combine all ingredients EXCEPT coconut in a blender. Cover and blend on low speed for 3 min. Pour into a buttered pie dish. Let stand for 5 min. Sprinkle coconut on top. I cover the top and don’t really worry about the amount that the recipe calls for anymore.

Bake for 40 min at 350 degrees. 

When the coconut is golden and sticking a knife in comes out clean it’s done! 
 

Cheesecake Cupcakes


I will give you the original recipe. I have adapted it over the years though. In parentheses I will put my amounts. It will make 18 cupcakes. The original recipe will make 28 cupcakes.
preheat oven 350

3 (8oz) packages cream cheese   (2 pkgs)
1 Cup sugar                                    (3/4 cup)
5 eggs                                           ( 4 eggs)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract                ( 3/4 tsp)


This is for the middle of the cupcake after the first bake. I found there was way too much left over which is a waste so I found the perfect amount for my adaption.


8 oz sour cream                  (1/2 cup)
1 cup sugar                         (1/4 cup)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract       (1/2 tsp)

Directions

1) Preheat oven to 350. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
2) In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and sugar. Stir in the eggs one at a time, then mix in the vanilla. Spoon into liners to fill about 3/4 full.
3) Bake for 30 min in preheated oven, until golden brown. Remove and let cool for 5-10 min. They will sink in creating the cavity to put the filling in.
4) Make sour cream topping- whisk together, sour cream, sugar and vanilla. Spoon into the well of the cupcake.
5) Return to oven and bake for an additional 5-7 min, until set.
Cool on racks. Do not remove the cupcakes from the pan until completely cool.
For an additional touch- add a dollop of your favorite pie filling ( making sure it’s GF of course!)

The Bisquick settles to the bottom forming a ‘crust’. I find it tastes better after it’s cold.

No comments: