Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Order

Gluten-free. Several days straight of restless sleep. Third day of headache. Thirteen books on hold at the library (about Celiacs, gluten-free, kids and gluten-free, etc.). A Pinterest board that's 200 strong in a week. Gf food gifts from friends. Healthy dinners. Grace, poured out.

I met with a friend yesterday and told her how June was a multi-faceted strain on our family. And this past week? I had done nothing towards co-op because I was single-focused on home. So thankful for her grace and understanding as I work from, "What can we have for dinner?" to "What's for dinner?"

Price comparisons (gluten-free is EXPENSIVE). Bought a new baking and pizza pan. Cleaned up the bread machine and packed it away for the time being, along with some skillets and muffin tins. Ordered a digital scale.

I told (her), "I need to get this part of my life in order before the school year starts. I'm cramming to learn everything I can."

With yard (and its seasonal needs), home (cleaning, cooking, shopping), tutoring Lanie full time, tutoring Erin on off days, teaching Ancient Great Books, I don't have a lot of time to be figuring out what I'm doing in the kitchen. I want to have that worked out this month. And glad that my kids will be learning (as I learn too!) how to work with gluten-free products. Can't wait for a decent piece of bread. (Another friend has been gluten-free since 2009 and told me she gave up on bread because  the brands she'd tried weren't good. I told her if I get a good homemade loaf, I'll make some for her too.)


Armed with three cookbooks, a scale on the way, and Shane ordered me a 5lb bag of flour blend.



It's interesting how, overnight, we are in a whole new category. Excited for the new friendships and opportunities that grow from being gluten-free. (Already thinking of my first gluten-free cookie swap.) And thankful that Trader Joe's has gluten-free waffles for $1.99. Best score ever!

definitely a 2-cup kinda life right now

some of the books I picked up at the library

yay!

2 comments:

Nora said...

God's grace in all things. You're an amazing mom!

Courtney said...

Ack! You're an amazing friend! Thanks for all your advice and tips. Love you!