Thursday, July 23, 2015

The story

This is the story of the day I ruthlessly scrutinized my grocery list and decided it would be in our best interest to shop at four different stores to scoop up the very best deals. (Yesterday.)

This is the story of how I was going to throw together a quick (corn) pasta with meat sauce for dinner. I considered splurging and trying out a loaf of gluten-free Italian-style bread (a third the size of its wheaty counterpart), and then changed my mind when I saw the cost. Who needs garlic bread with pasta anyway?

This is the story of how a friend came over to coach me on gluten-free living and baking and challenges and solutions. Just as she was leaving, a package arrived. She stayed while I opened it. Inside? Gluten-free muffins! Gluten-free cookies! Gluten-free breads!

Whoa, whoa!

"I have the BEST HUSBAND EVER!" I said. Seriously, my guy was going to hear it. I opened a package of bread and cut a piece into quarters to share between my friend and the girls.

It. Was. So. Good.

The first bread we'd had in over two weeks.

The kids wanted to try a muffin and cookie too, so I let them have some of each.

When Shane came home, I stood outside with a grin a mile wide.

"I got that package you sent," I said. "You are the BEST EVER!"

"I didn't send you a package," he said.

"Huh? You asked me the other day if I got a package in the mail? I thought you had something coming for us." I couldn't figure it out.

"I didn't send it. Connie did," he said.

I HAVE THE BEST SISTER-IN-LAW EVER!

our thank-you selfie to her

This is the story of how we ended up having garlic bread with pasta after all.

I chopped up some garlic and melted butter and we put it on one of the loaves of bread--and it was a delightful feast.

My in-laws are pretty special people. I'm so glad to be part of this family.

Shazam!


The end.

No comments: