Saturday, August 8, 2015

Buckwheat groats

Generally with (them), I am invisible. They will not make a peep about any event in our lives. Not a congrats, or comment or even a like. Not on the first day of school; not a recital; not a birthday; not Christmas. I'm kind of used to it. So when I wrote to them to tell them of the health discovery and changes in our household, I didn't expect a response. Why would I? Our lives have passed without acknowledgement.

So it was a surprise when, in fact, there was a response in my inbox about our gluten-free life. Something to the effect of "How's it going? Does this mean you won't be making the sausage dressing at Thanksgiving this year?" (I would have called it stuffing, despite technically being incorrect.)

I had a good laugh.

I responded that there was gluten-free bread, and that I should still be able to make the sausage dressing.

But for fun? I thought I might have to serve up a side of buckwheat groats.

I found a really interesting book on gluten-free crockpot cooking at the library. I like it so much, I think I want to get my very own copy of it.

Despite its name's implication, buckwheat is not a wheat product and does not contain gluten.

A tidbit from this treasure:

"...buckwheat groats is a dish native to Russia, and while by the eighteenth century it was a peasant dish, it began as a dish for the nobility. From the twelfth to fourteenth centuries the word kasha was almost synonymous with the word feast." Gluten-free Slow Cooking by Ellen Brown. 

And when you take a dish from peasants and nobility and link it to feasts, you win my heart. Ellen Brown--I love your book.

This year's menu might look a little different--I'll still make Cindy's apple pie (with a gluten-free crust), and the sausage dressing will hopefully hold the spotlight, but I'm also enjoying considering things like German chocolate pecan pie bars and toasted marshmallow-topped pumpkin ice cream pie with a gingerbread cookie crust (both from Cooking for Isaiah by Silvana Nardone). And buckwheat groats. Do not forget the buckwheat groats.

Though, the things we'll miss have not escaped us either. Lanie recently asked what our new tradition would be at Christmas, since the annual pizza and cookie-as-big-as-your-hand is out. We'll find something. Maybe the kettle corn they serve up hot and fresh at the ornament store. Or we'll do something else. And cookie swaps will be gluten-free only to avoid cross contamination. I might even just have some friends over for coffee and gf cinnamon rolls or something.

(No paid endorsements here folks.)

No comments: