Saturday, August 1, 2015

The Sunday of summer

A friend shared a sunsetty meme on Facebook. The quote:

"August is like the Sunday of summer."

I don't know why, but I thought about this while I was painting the pantry.

I think of August more like this: like a kitten being lowered over the toilet water of back-to-school, claws out and legs splayed to block the inevitable drowning.

Ha. And I recently called myself an optimist.

***

My inner grump voiced herself at the lunch table today at the kids. (N: did I say we start today? I think I meant MONDAY.)

"Blahblahblah, yuckitty yuck, and if you keep it up, I'm going to start giving you a punishment like picking up sticks in the yard or pulling weeds!"

"Wait!" Shane said. "That's a PUNISHMENT?!? You've been punishing me?"

And it was so funny because he always helps pick up sticks.

I. Love. Him.

***

Hands covered in white paint. I don't know why a closet is kicking my butt.

A closet.

I'm painting the pantry white, a contrast to its camel color that was dim and dingy looking. I'm light challenged in the woods, and in the pantry. I wanted white on the walls, and you'd think it would be a piece of cake. But there's beadboard and some kind of swirly stuff on one part. When I painted it white, I hated it because it looked like ICING.

"It does!" Lanie agreed. And then she laughed.

I can hardly stand to look at it. (I had the same reaction at the other house when I tried to go for a Tuscan look in the kitchen and painted it a faux blend of orange colors and it looked like mac and cheese. I couldn't look at it until I painted it--immediately the next day, a cooling dark green. Which was the color before Barn Owl White.)

I marched upstairs to Shane and ranted about how the pantry looks HORRIBLE white, and it was supposed to look like a dream, and how is it a closet is my undoing?

"I wish we had done shiplap. Now it looks like white icing," I said. I had wanted to rip out the beadboard and swirl and put up shiplap. Shane doesn't like the look of shiplap. So we (he) decided to stick with it the way it was, but that was before we decided to paint the entire room white ... how a simple question of "what if we do solid shelves" turned a cheap extension into a complete overhaul.)

"You might like it when it's finished. You're only on the first coat."

I hope he's right.

***

We had three separate swim dates yesterday. Morning, afternoon and evening.

I'm so glad Lisa spoke sense into me the other week, because I was feeling myself pulling back from hospitality, and stressing over several things. She gave me the kick in the butt I needed: hello, purpose?

So when I woke up Friday, I mapped out a timeline for dinner, built in prep time between gigs, and drank coffee while I waited for our first guests. The day went so smoothly, even when it didn't. The kiddos got dressed in their swim suits right after breakfast and wore them all day.

I loved having the constant flow of people. Got to photograph a family in town from New Jersey as they are preparing to live in another country for two years.

It felt amazing to do the things I love.

I finally feel like I'm getting back to myself.


2 comments:

Nora said...

I'm good with Monday. I'm dtarting another whole30 then, so it'll be extra challenging to bury my inner grump. I will say that I took a breath today when someone was really bothering me with endless chatter about her latest hyper-focus. I put my hand on her back and asked her to explain what she wanted and really listened. I was so darn proud of that moment that I didn't listen to her for the rest of the day. Ha! I kid.

Courtney said...

Monday it is! I'm getting a practice run in today. Just to try it out.