Friday, September 11, 2015

Race

I started school on Wednesday. The class itself was terrific. I sailed through it, by God's grace, despite a morning skirmish on the playground. I talked to my class about expectations, home mantra, communication and love.

***

I wore my Batman pin.

***

Lanie started CBS with a friend this week. She was bouncy and joyful afterward. I felt thankful.

***

I'm on day twelve of Whole30. It's been educational and revealing. It's been a struggle and a victory. And it has certainly increased my reliance on God. Because when a girlfriend hurls a fiery arrow in your direction, nothing is more soothing than the sweetness of chocolate. But then, on Whole30, I found nothing was more soothing than my Father's arms.

***

Lanie starts a math class today, I suppose making this her official first day of seventh grade. She's excited. She even decorated the folder with hearts. For math.

***

I think it's interesting how key words find me. Reading through first ancient chapters this morning, the emergence of civilizations and communities. That word community has been a big word for me, in the periphery sure, but also in the focus.

***

Erin made a kid's menu so she can pick from it for her meals. (Ha!) Today she requested grilled cheese, so I made one for her (gf of course). The house smelled wonderful with butter melting and bread browning. She pulled it apart and stretched her hands so that the cheese made a bridge.

"This is so good," she said.

And if felt like fall.

***

I included this scripture at the bottom of the letters I wrote to my students.

 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people; then you won’t become weary and give up. Hebrews 12:1-3, NLT.

I think I will need to recite it daily. Because I've got a lot of stuff trying to slow me down right now.

***

Cleaned the house, mopped floors and all. Probably the nearest to clean we'll be for the school year, because the crazy pace is officially full speed on Monday.

***

The pool gets closed on Tuesday.

No comments: