Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The soup

Since I decided to do Whole30, no joke, so much--I don't even know the word for it--but so much (not related to food) STUFF has happened, and none of it pleasant. I totally feel like some character dodging a constant barrage of obstacles. Each one prompting me, "Eat the cookie."

Aside from that, I've gone from the frustration of, "What's the point of this anyway? I look and feel the same!" (week one) to "I can't eat another salad!" (week two) to "There's nothing to eat."  (week three)

As yesterday unfolded, this, then that, then that other thing, and yeah, when I got home, I flung the cabinets open wide and made exaggerated motions of shoveling all contents at my face.

"I can't eat any of this," I said of the cabinet food to Lanie as she laughed at me. I fixed my salad like I knew I should.

For dinner last night, I made a soup, adapted from a friend's cookbook. And, ohmyword, not only has it become my new go-to favorite soup, I secretly wanted to cry over how wonderful it tasted.

Season chicken thighs (I probably used 6 or so) with this seasoning blend (1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne) and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Add 4 cups of chicken stock to a soup pot, peel 2 sweet potatoes and cube to 1-inch chunks and cook on high till potatoes are fork tender. Reduce heat, add 2 cloves minced garlic, and 1 jalapeno that the dog didn't notice from your garden, minced, to the pot.

Cube up those chicken thighs when the timer goes off and add to the soup pot. Add one can of light coconut milk.

Garnish with diced red onion, cilantro, and a good squeeze of lime. 

There's sweet. There's heat. There's creamy goodness. I had two bowlfuls.

Thank you, God.

There's something really beautiful about a simple meal that can call you out of your present and wake you to the very goodness of the earth.

#foodfantasies
#soupbelly
#day21
#thatkindaday

No comments: