Monday, October 12, 2015

Snickerdoodle cookies, a green balloon, and a song in my heart

A student in my class had a birthday today. I baked snickerdoodle cookies for him. I had the class sign a card for him. I brought in a party hat (that he wouldn't wear). And I gave him a helium balloon.

We sang to him. Another student prayed for him. And the kids ate up all the cookies, which is great since it was a new-to-me recipe and I wasn't sure how it would go over with them..

After school when we were leaving, Lanie said, "Look, (he's) still got the balloon."

There he was, standing outside the school door holding a green balloon. He's seventeen.

This was so precious to me.

Yay for birthdays.

Snickerdoodles


2 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 t baking soda
1 t salt
1/2 cup arrowroot flour
1/2 cup agave nectar
1 T vanilla
7 T grapeseed oil

cinnamon/sugar mixture for dusting

Whisk dry ingredients together and then add wet ingredients. Plop by tablespoons onto parchment paper. Gently flatten if necessary. Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar. The cookies will spread out. Bake at 350 degrees, about 8 minutes. Let cool completely before removing from parchment paper. Made about 2 1/2 dozen.

Thanks to Denise for sitting on the couch with me last night going through cookbooks to find gluten-free and dairy-free recipes. Snickerdoodles won. (I haven't yet played with the coffee cake to sub out the sour cream for pumpkin.)

No comments: