Friday, March 25, 2016

Little feet

Erin sat next to me on the couch. She's nine.

"I wish I was younger," she said. "I was so cute at 3, 4 and 5."

"You're still cute now!" I said.

"But I could be with you all day and cuddle you when I was little," she continued.

"You're cuddling me right now and you're with me a lot!" I reminded.

She was snuggled against me on the couch as we started reading aloud Anne of Green Gables.

Her foot draped over the side of the couch.

"When I hold my foot like this it looks little," she said.

"It is little," I said. And then I reached out and touched her foot.

"These little feet have taken you lots of places," I said. And then I recounted, "I wonder how many times you've skated around the rink with these feet?"

"At least one hundred!" she said.

"At least," I agreed. "And they've carried you through sand at the beach. And grass at the parks. You've gone to zoos and museums and play dates and running through our yard with these feet."

She smiled, remembering.

"You've gone to school and grocery shopping with these feet."

Running to the pool, Easter egg hunts, trick-or-treating, Christmas cookie delivering. Where else will they take her?

"And to Cubby and Sammy's!"

So many places.

***

She was sad last night and needed a mama's hug and comfort.

"Can I sleep with you?" she asked.

"Ok," I said.

We slept in until at least 8 o'clock today. I got up out of bed and she turned to reach for me. I remembered all the times she turned to reach for me, hands out. How I'd carry her all around or we'd hold hands together as we walked down the stairs for breakfast. She's so big now. I don't think I'd carry her too far.

I reached back and held her tiny fingers.

"Let's get up!" I said. "How did you sleep?"

"Terrible!" she said, and I was surprised. "You and Daddy snored all night long. I could barely sleep!"

And I laughed at the ruckus that must have been. I was totally unaware.

No comments: