Friday, May 6, 2016

427 pages

Erin and I just finished Anne of Green Gables, her last literature book assigned from co-op. We've read a lot this year, the both of us.

It's raining today, pouring, and we sat under the gray knit blanket just after math problems.

"I want school to be like this next year," she said. "Just like today."

"It will be," I answered.

"No, just like this--where we aren't rushing and sitting at a table all day," she explained.

"It will be," I answered. "It will be like today, and even better."

We will both have the pressures and pace of co-op removed. And if something wants further investigation, there will be time for it and so much more.

'It doesn't seem possible that the term is nearly over,' said Anne. 'Why, last fall it seemed so long to look forward to--a whole winter of studies and classes. And here we are, with the exams looming up next week. Girls, sometimes I feel as if those exams meant everything, but when I look at the big buds swelling on those chestnut-trees and the misty blue air at the end of the streets they don't seem half so important.' (Anne of Green Gables, page 395)

Two more classes. This week, my ancients class had a field trip for archery practice. (So fun! What a blessing time with those kids has been to me this year.)
Hover balls. This was so much fun!
Yesterday, my kids and I went with some friends to the zoo. It was overcast with occasional mist, but as the lunch call cleared out the school buses, it was almost like we had the whole place to ourselves.
Flamingos!


Spreading their wings

Goats too!

Ha! That slide!

Greenhouse magic. Beautiful, educational, and inspirational.

Erin and I are finishing up the last of her math homework. A literature book, whose scenes we still giggle over, lies closed on the table. Already, my mind is filling with summer to-dos: painting the herb plant stand, bedrooms, bathrooms, a garden list, and mulching. Today, errands and chores. Taking back the house a load at a time.

The other night I sat with Shane after dinner and we thought long on plans we make and the way things go.

'When I left Queen's my future seemed to stretch out before me like a straight road. I thought I could see along it for many a milestone. Now there is a bend in it. I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does. It has a fascination of its own, that bend, Marilla. I wonder how the road beyond it goes--what there is of green glory and soft, checkered light and shadows--what new landscapes--what new beauties--what curves and hills and valleys farther on.' (Anne of Green Gables, page 421)

I never imagined we'd leave this co-op. It seemed like our place, and still does. But there's no denying a call to something else, something more. And just like we had no idea of the details of the future that awaited us when we moved from the old neighborhood, we are stepping out in faith to another call.

Anne's horizons had closed in since the night she had sat there after coming home from Queen's; but if the path set before her feet was to be narrow she knew that flowers of quiet happiness would bloom along it. The joys of sincere work and worthy aspiration and congenial friendship were to be hers; nothing could rob her of her birthright of fancy or her ideal world of dreams. And there was always the bend in the road!
'"God's in His heaven, all's right with the world,"' whispered Anne softly. (Anne of Green Gables, page 427)

Yes. Indeed.

No comments: