Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Old, new, borrowed, blue

She said, "You know why I gave you a box of gifts? It's because I overheard you telling Daddy how much you loved the tutor gift bags from co-op at the beginning of the year, and I wanted to give you something." Because, you know, we're not at co-op.

Those bags--with paper clips, sticky note pads, dry erase markers, erasers. And a chocolate or two.

"I asked Daddy to take me out to get you chocolate, but it was too late," she continued.

I have enough in the freezer. We're good. Love her heart.

***

Resumed piano with our former teacher this week. Both girls were practicing their hearts out in anticipation of the reunion.

Her dog greeted us with barks and wags, and we gifted jerky treats in return.

New composition books. New music books. New year.

***

I don't have anything for borrowed.

***

It was supposed to happen at the end of August. But then it got switched to the end of September--taking down a mighty oak that leaned hard over a corner of our house. The crown was struck by lightening once upon a time, and this past year, many limbs were dying off. We decided it needed to go sooner than later.

Yesterday, I got a message saying they'd be out today to cut it down.

Whoa! (Not what I expected at all.)

And then a message saying they'd be here mid-day, which threw all my plans into a spin, and me into a panic.

Then, amid tears and overwhelm, they showed up at 8 this morning. Ha! I let my hair down and swished it like I was Wonder Woman. Yes, I did. I walked out to greet them, and hoped they couldn't tell I had been crying. Who knows.

They were extremely polite to me and to each other. I curled up with Erin on the bench in the pachysandra to watch one shimmy up the tree in his spikes. He dropped limbs.

Later, bigger limbs fell and he yelled from the tree top and we echoed his "Whoa!"

It was exciting. And at times, the earth moved and thundered under the feel of the fall.

Lots of sunlight came bursting through.

"It doesn't feel like we live in the woods anymore," Erin lamented. That must be the blue part.

I'll miss that oak and its stubborn leaves. But it was hollowed out and haunting. It leaned in threateningly during every ice storm, thunderstorm, and snow storm. And now, and only temporarily, a footprint remains.

limbs coming down


one of the highest, eighty feet up, where the crown would have been

superstar


And suddenly Erin needed to be in a tree! Loved that!

head's up


down

No comments: