Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Over Frosties

Yesterday I sat along the brick wall and enjoyed the sunshine. Erin came outside and asked if I wanted to toss a ball with her.

"Sure!" I said.

We played catch. On a Tuesday. And there was not a rush in any of it.

"Will we have snow days, Mom?" she asked. Last year, I was probably even more hopeful of snow days than my kids were because THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME.

It's September, and eighty degrees, and the pool is still open, and she's thinking of snow and sledding.

"I'm sure we will," I said, and knowing full well she wanted a day off to play.

***

Took the kids to a PE gig today. They had so much fun. And Erin came up to me at one point as she heard her favorite song (Firework by Katy Perry) playing. I had heard it too.

Connection.

The girls were smiles and breathless and happy when we walked out.

"Can we do this again?" they both asked.

"Yes," I said. What a Wednesday can look like.

***

Kids hot from all the exercise, we drove to a nearby Wendy's for Frosties. I checked online earlier to make sure they were gluten free for Lanie. They are.

I got the kids each a medium Frosty and I got a small one. Their first spoonfuls and they were both exclaiming, "This is heaven!"

Both of them.

I smiled, thankful. Thankful for a morning off with my kids, on a Wednesday. Thankful that Frosties are gluten free. Thankful that such a simple pleasure felt like heaven to them.

"Do you think there are Frosties in heaven?" one asked.

"I hope so!" another replied.

"Yeah, I hope it's not all bread and fish!" one of them said. I held back laughter, and smiled at the thought of having a chocolate Frosty with Jesus. Smiled at my kids' anticipation of eternity.

***

She asked me and it touched my heart, her wording slightly different but the point of it this: can I still be a kid?

And I said, without missing a beat, "Yes, you can."

No comments: