Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Day story

October


Outside my window, lawn littered with crunchy maple leaves, acorns and oak leaves. I mulched them up with the tractor, and a windy day dropped a new layer. Thick and giving for kicking up leaves.
wonderland

Giving thanks for the autumn smells, frost on shingles, the hum of the heater, the warmth of cherry pit bags and pumpkin spice coffee with cream.
frost on the shingles and that view!

In the school room, laughter and peace. Good times. We are making great and steady progress. Erin is thriving. Lanie and I are growing so close. There is time for rabbit trails and curiosity. There is time for undercover read alouds. There is time for sleeping late and breakfast together and play. So thankful for this time. A friend recently texted me asking how my school year was going. And perhaps I should have been more reserved, but my reply was an exuberant, "It's the best!"
"Little Women" lit discussion. Middle school. Good stuff.

These kids goofing during a read aloud.

From the kitchen, pumpkin breads and hot chocolate.
Hot chocolate on a Tuesday

And my dog

Gluten-free pumpkin bread

I don't want to forget Lanie's thank you note to me, nighttime rides with Erin running errands, the underscore of no rush and the peace in the days. I don't want to forget happy hearts over hot chocolate, and the laughter. How things fell together and community blossomed--returning to service at church and time to invest in others. This year is the richest gift to me.


I am reading Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George, Entrusted by Beth Moore, and Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst.

I am hearing the background music of our vintage radio, the dog crunching kibble, the kids playing downstairs in the basement. Home sounds. Life.

Around the house, the Holiday Home Sweet Home candle burning, wood stacked and waiting for winter, photo sessions with friends this month, and finishing edits. Our family shoot this weekend. I got a plaid shirt.

A view of my favorite things:





At the table, Lanie celebrated her birthday (the other week) with an old friend and a new friend. Birthday song. Dinner chatter. After dinner talks with my man. Outside it's darker sooner, and the chandelier lights glow warm over our table for four.



No comments: