Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Sugar and spice

Erin wanted to invite her summer art teacher to tea. So we did.

gluten-free sugar and spice donuts made in birthday donut pans

that marbled cheese is a cheddar with chipotle peppers and cranberry

getting set up

at the table


Erin's faux water color rendition of a tea party

Miss Suzanne--I loved her the moment I met her

We ate donuts (Erin had five!) and walnut apple cake. We had juice and tea (my favorite orange ginger mint--and it seems every friend I fix this for goes back repeatedly for more because it is so good!), cheeses and crackers, nuts, pears and apples. At one point, the girls took off to swing for a bit while Suzanne and I talked, but then they were back soon after because: poetry!

Suzanne showed up with lovely old book, and a pressed leaf from yesteryear that served as a bookmark. She read to us The Song of Wandering Aengus by William Butler Yeats, and told us how one of her children memorized it.

She told me about her art studies and professors and poetry. She told me about her homeschooling (unschooling) years--her kids now grown.

We walked around the yard afterward and talked about trees and sunlight and gardens and life--real life.

And it was so good.

No comments: