Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Eyes to see

In Great Books, I'd have the kids look for treasure ... quotes from books that stirred something in them, to make them think or to make them laugh or to get any kind of reaction. I've been a treasure hunter all my life, whether words or senses--gathering the goods and hiding them in my heart.

This week alone and aside from a lengthy list of gratitude, I looked out the schoolroom window at the cherry tree.

I paused and stared at it, almost as if it were the first time because it felt like the first time that I had seen it. We've lived here now six falls, and each fall was marked by distraction (unpacking, painting, healing and processing; lesson planning, homework and hustle). And just this week, golden treasure of leaves that waved and I wondered at their greeting, hello.

"It just occurred to me how I got so caught up in things to do, I wasn't even aware of the beauty around me," I said to Shane last night. "All this time, I never noticed how beautiful and yellow the cherry tree leaves are in the fall." We both looked at each other a long moment. I remembered bird watching with the kids last spring, and how I heard a symphony around me--Lord, give me ears to hear and eyes to see!

Thoughts on home:
schooling with this girl in pano

history read alouds
hound dog and the first fire of the fall
"...because the narrative my parents chose to weave about the day--naming, listing, speaking, and rejoicing in the things we had, rather than the community we did not have." (The Life-Giving Home, Sally and Sarah Clarkson, page 214)

"Home is the shelter where the lonely find rest and the sorrowing come to be comforted. Home is the place where struggles may be admitted and loneliness acknowledged. It's the place where it is safe to admit how difficult, how dark, how lonely the world sometimes is. But it's also the ground in which those sorrows are sheltered and softened. Where, by the alchemy of welcome and acceptance, good food and conversation, candlelight and laughter, hope and even gratitude grow. As our own need drew others in, we learned that our reluctant generosity could become the seedbed for grace." (page 215)

"God grant that my home would be such a shelter, a refuge whose windows are alight in welcome, drawing the lonely and wandering in from the cold." (page 191)


No comments: