Friday, November 25, 2016

Thanksgiving 2016

I set the alarm for 5:00 a.m. Minutes before it was supposed to go off, I turned it off so it wouldn't wake up Shane, and I closed my eyes. This is the sequence before disaster strikes, and I oversleep. But not yesterday. Quite miraculously, the alarm went off anyway.

I got up.

The dark hours of morning were spent in quiet thoughts and heartfelt pleadings. And then coffee. And then baking. I started with pumpkin cheesecake bars. Woke Lanie up to assist, her request, and we spent time cooking together. She helped with pecan pie and sausage dressing. She reminded me to make Linda's favorite sweet potatoes with marshmallows, and I did.

The turkey turned out dry (this is not surprising), and the sides were a favorite and hit.

Butternut bisque
Pomegranate and clementine salad
Asparagus
Sausage dressing
Mashed potatoes
Sweet Potatoes with marshmallows
Dry turkey
Pumpkin cheesecake bars
Ice cream
Pecan Pie

The welcomes were warm. My dad gifted me a blanket he made. And when drinks were offered, he asked if we had cranberry gingerale (his favorite, and I made sure it was here). I'm thankful--for woodland views and my kids and Denise running and playing in the yard; my dad's smile; warmth in the house and in our hearts.

Erin drew this. Sweet.

Seeing hearts in cream splashes. Butternut bisque.

First ever homemade gluten-free pecan pie

Denise makes everything fun!

Selfie with Linda and Dad.

Pre-feast.


Full table

Catching Dad coloring on the tablecloth. (It had word searches, games, and fun things on it.)

My sister next to me.

After dinner smiles.
Next year, I'm getting a much smaller turkey and maybe a rotisserie chicken. Thankful for such a good day.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Friend, so beautiful!!! I couldn't stop gazing at your table yesterday when I saw it on Instagram. Love! You are too funny about the dry turkey. Dry or no, turkey is grand!
Happy Thanksgiving dear one and crew! xoxo

Rebecca said...

PS Back to the great bedroom clean out... ;)

Courtney said...

The Great Bedroom Clean Out--go you! Thank you for your sweet wishes. Love you and your people lots!