Friday, December 30, 2016

End of year, 2016

2016 was full, for sure. I'm thankful for the challenges that were fertile ground for all God has done in my life. I'm thankful for this year--and it wasn't an easy year--but it was a fruitful year.

I answered end-of-year questions. Some answers:

Unexpected joys: teaching; the Ancients class; tea party Tuesdays; hospitality.

Single best thing: Tuesdays, redeemed. It is a true delight to get up on a Tuesday and enjoy the day with my kids. It is a delight to schedule a leisurely tea, read poetry, and visit with special guests on a Tuesday. We have the teas about once a month--and special guests have been Anita, Suzanne, Amy, and Michelle and Nadiya. Tuesdays, redeemed also meant a home focus. That day reading on the couch last spring when Erin asked if school could always be that way: us on the couch, going at our own pace, enjoying the time together--such a moment I never want to forget. So happy to be home. (I noticed a huge increase in photos as we transitioned into the new school year chez nous.) 

Influential reads in 2016: Red Sea Rules by Robert Morgan, The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson, The Best Yes by Lysa TerKeurst, The Life-Giving Home by Sally and Sarah Clarkson; A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. I read a lot of other books this year, but these are the ones I'll want to read again and again.

The best use of time: Pouring into my kids, home and friendships. I'm so happy for this year at home with my kiddos. I'm grateful for the people in our lives, and the new friends we made this year.

I ran into a mom of a former student at the store today. What a sweet blessing to wrap up this year. Her hug, her smile, her words. Thank you, God, for all the good things. 
January--a new year, a snow storm, good bye to Rudy
February--home focus, and Stitch Fix
March--a visit from Joe and Stephanie, a new oven
April--my dad turned 80
May--bow shooting, the zoo, sushi, co-op end
June--Lanie got baptized
July--lots of swimming and fun with friends
August--five years here, minus a mailbox
September--tea parties, butterflies
October--great friends
November--gatherings, knit!, homeschool love!
December--goodbye to Jane, Erin turned 10, holiday performances

I hope the year was good to you! Very best wishes for 2017.


No comments: