Friday, June 19, 2009

The grill that's not for him

A friend asked if she could borrow some garage space to hide a gift for Father's day for her husband. She got him a grill.

"That's fine, but Shane might use it. You know, until Sunday," I said.

I warned him the other day that she'd be bringing the grill by this week. He got a sneaky smile on his face. "That's really clever," he said. "Telling me that someone is using our garage space to hold a gift so that I won't suspect it's for me."

"No, really," I said. "It's not for you. I didn't get you a grill."

She parked it in our driveway today while I was out and I put it in the garage when I got home.

"The grill that's not for you is in the garage," I told him when I called to say hey this afternoon.

"Uh huh," he sounded like it was a big joke.

I mentioned to my friend what Shane had said. She thought it was hilarious and wanted to tell her husband, but couldn't, because the gift is for him.

"I'm just going to take that old grill of ours and get rid of it," Shane said tonight at dinner.

"Well, don't take it too far, because you're going to have to get it back on Sunday."

I'm pretty sure he knows that it's really not for him. Especially since he looks at all our statements. But now I'm thinking it would be fun to mess with him and get him a book on grilling and some grilling utensils for Sunday. Would that be wrong?

No comments: