Saturday, September 13, 2008

I you

There were four people in our bed last night. I was cozy in the middle with Erin on one side and Lanie on the other.

Erin woke up in the middle of the night and wanted a drink. I looked over at Shane. He had the easiest access out of the bed, but he was snoring away. So I tried to get around Lanie, since she's shorter, and go do a milk run. Erin cried, "Come!"

"Ok, you can come," I say and pick her up. She cuddled up against me with two Noonoos in hand. I hoped she wouldn't drop them, because nothing wakes you up faster than squats at 2 a.m. I rubbed my cheek against the top of her head. I knew it would be an hour before I fell back asleep, but it didn't matter. I was just overcome with love for this little girl.

"I love you, Erin," I said, kissing her head.

"I you," she said.

The sweetest words to my ears. Makes it all worthwhile.

No comments: