Thursday, November 6, 2008

Mad libs

A good and faithful babysitter is a treasure, but an irresponsible and unreliable sitter dries the bones.

This isn't biblical. But it certainly rings true! It's very frustrating trying to find a babysitter who:

is Christian
doesn't have a boyfriend
has a license and access to a car
likes kids
has a good attitude
comes from a good family
and honors her commitment.

We thought we had one in the girl who watched our kids sometimes in the summer, but she has canceled at the last minute several times when I've had doctors appointments or other things. The missed appointments were frustrating, sometimes resulting in Shane missing some work to help me out, but if it was just so I could grab some me-time without having to wipe a bottom, fix a lunch, referee an argument--then it wasn't such a big deal. It was just life as usual. And that was just fine. And cheaper.

Shane and I haven't had a date night in six years. We recently started to consider church our date night because it was a Saturday night, we got to listen to live music, and our kids weren't around us. I think my pastor would be appalled to hear me refer to worship as date night. And forgive me too, Lord. I don't mean it in quite that way. But that's the closest we've come to it. Until this week when we actually planned a date night. I'm talking dinner at a restaurant that doesn't serve chicken nuggets, and a movie that isn't animated. And it was for tomorrow. I was looking forward to it all week. Until today when the sitter e-mails, "Something came up. Sorry!"

So I'm working on my mad mad-libs. The kind of rant where you just fill in the blanks with nonsensical stuff, because if you put the real words in, it would sound like a bunch of complaining, grumbling, jealous covetous stuff about what other people have and enjoy but you don't and, well, you get the picture. And it isn't pretty. Even after I started to write the real rant and replace the words, it still wasn't pretty. Or funny. Because nothing can really make light of the yucky stuff in our hearts. So I deleted the copy. Instead, I'm going to sit down and write a list of all the many blessings I have received, and just give thanks for them. Which is way better than any restaurant or non-animated movie anyhow.

Really and truly.

And I'm going to enjoy Friday night with my man and my kids. Maybe even get a movie from Blockbuster and some popcorn. Because this is the life: What better way to spend your time than with people who love you.

No comments: