Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Beloved Noonoo


When Erin was a tiny baby, about 6 or 7 months old, I noticed she liked to take a blanket and rub it against her cheek while she was nursing and trying to fall asleep. Having had a special blankie myself, I thought I should get her something more durable than the lovely crocheted keepsakes we have ... because once those are gone, they're gone. Irreplaceable.

A great (insanely expensive: Chasing Fireflies, I think it's called) kids' catalog had these Noonoo blankets in them. They looked exactly like something Erin would love. I bought one to test out. And she adored it. So I bought another one. They are her favorite things. Her go-to comforter and bedtime snuggler. And also affordable and replaceable.

They are made of felted lambswool and have a kid-designed embroidered animal/bug. The blanket is a patchwork of fingered squares. Erin seems to have favorite frills, because there are spots on her blanket that seem the most loved. After washing, the blanket has a returning, unexpected scent. It kind of reminds me of a man's cologne. It's rather pleasant.

No comments: