Friday, July 18, 2008

Super Surprise Friday

Lanie and I super-surprised this day without Erin (she got a fun day with the babysitter). Shane was glad it was just us big girls today, he felt Lanie really needed some special mom time.


First, we got our nails done. I chose "My chihuahua bites" by OPI, and Lanie got purple sparkles and multi-sparkles. I mean, really, what else would we pick?


Then it was off to Walmart to get some school supplies. Lanie was immediately drawn to the commercial backpacks. Forget the cute original ones we saw in the Hannah Andersson catalog, or even the sweet butterfly backpack with matching lunchbox in L.L. Bean's critter collection. Nope. She went straight to Dora. And then chose a non-matching Princess lunchbox. I wondered if she would still feel the same about Dora in the middle of kindergarten, and questioned her choice. But she was adamant. And so it was (also significantly cheaper).


At check out, the front end supervisor chatted us up about school supplies. Asked Lanie what grade she was going into. Lanie, in typical fashion, scowled and ignored the woman (which is really ok with me--I'm rather glad she has apprehension of strangers, even if it borders on rude). I answered for her, "She's starting kindergarten this fall."


"Oh, full day or half day?" the supervisor asks me.


"Well, it's full day, two days a week."


Puzzled look.


"I'll be homeschooling her the other days."

"Why are you choosing that?" she asks.

"I like the benefits of both."

"Do you think that will mess her up?"

"Not at all," I replied. This is the first I've had of the world examining my choice to home school. So far, my friends have either been supportive, or, at the very least, polite. I suspect I will hear a lot more on this front. I'm not offended. Homeschooling is not a mainstream choice.

After Walmart, we headed to McDonald's for lunch. I called Shane and told him about the conversation about homeschooling. He laughed pretty hard, and much longer than I expected.

Then Lanie and I went to see "WALL-E," the Disney Pixar film.

It was a nice day.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Hi,
Found your letter from Christmas and saw the Blog URL so I went looking. Glad to hear you're doing well and are living a full and happy life.
My experience with children who have been homeschooled (out here, you see it frequently) has been, without exception, very positive. The children I've met and spoke with are more mature, engaging, and just plain more interesting than their contemporaries who are schooled in a more conventional fashion. I think the lack of peer pressure may have a lot to do with it. At any rate, it's really the parent(s) that determine the success of homeschooling - and I've no doubt your kids will be great. Carole and I have been empty-nesters for 5 years and I spend most of my free time working on the farm and raising our miniature donkeys and chickens. We just had a baby the other day - he can be seen at tuliphillfarm.com.
All the best to you and Shane and the girls,

Mike

Courtney said...

Man, Mike, I'm glad you stopped by! Thanks for updating me on you (and the spelling of your wife's name, which I--embarrassingly--mess up every Christmas. Please tell her it's nothing personal and that I'm going to correct my mailing list RIGHT NOW!) Glad to hear you're well. I hope you'll stop by again. I'll be sure to check out your baby on the farm! Be well, friend.

Blessings and hugs. Courtney