Sunday, July 27, 2008

It shrank

Shane decided to clean out his side of the closet. He has a huge wardrobe ... from the 80s! He bagged up five bags of stuff for donation. He held up some cycling pants, "Are these yours or mine?"

"It doesn't matter," I said. "It's not like they would fit either one of us anymore."

"Speak for yourself!" he said.

He held up a pair of shorts and said, "Are these too short?"

"No," I replied. "They look good."

He tried them on. "Are you sure they aren't too short?"

"No, they look fine."

He wasn't buttoned in. And when I saw him pull on them to button up, he said, "They shrank."

I ran to hug him. "Aww, I still love you! All mine shrank too!"

After he finished bagging up his things, I did a quick survey of what's on my side. I'm pretty good about going through clothes and weeding out my closet. I have held onto some skirts that I wore fifteen years ago. I think I use it as a measure, like a favorite pair of skinny jeans. Not that I've been able to wear these clothes, but from time to time I try them on just to see if I still can get into them. For now, I can't. But there was a brief time in 2004/2005 that I could. I'm still hopeful. I'll keep them around.

No comments: